It always takes two buses—
some 50 cents fare one way.
When I disembark I always walk
slowly, stumble down the still-moving steps onto uneven
cement, dry, iceburg-cracked sidewalks of the road,
inching downward, as though descending gingerly—reluctantly—into
hell.
Not that its hell,
really, but the bus
isalwayscrowded,andIrarelygetaseatandtheroad
isalways,alwaysupwardandtheway
isalwayswindingandIalwaystopple,uneven
heavy steps, landing on heavy legs, learning to walk.
In circles, learning to walk
but crookedly, driven hell-bent for hell,
because I never learned the difference between even and uneven,
(whatever that means);
and so I board the bus
heedless of direction, and whichever way
it goes, I go. And whichever road
it takes, I take. And now I’m going north; this road
I thought was going nowhere, this aimless walk
south, down; this underbelly, this descent, this damned, unholy way
this body bent for hell
this disrepair, this bus
bouncing north unevenly,
bouncing me unevenly,
and be it wandering—however
wandering—this road
is going home. And so I take the bus,
and then, for a while, I walk.
I pass through hell
—but briefly—(hell
is on the way … )
And finally, I know I'm going right, my way.
Because of you: because of your uneven
scrambling, your demands, my children; because you sometimes
gave me hell.
Because you were the road;
and because you made
me walk
the plank, your waxy
yellow fingers scorched my burning feet. And I wanted to take the bus
to nowhere, but I didn’t. I took it to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment